National Convention Information
2019 NATIONAL CONVENTION
THIS PAGE IS IN PROCESS OF BEING UPDATED!
Wanted to provide a quick update on what we are working on for our attendees’ enjoyment at the 2019 National Convention. We are excited about the below opportunities for the 101st National Convention, August 23-29, 2019, Indianapolis, IN. The JW Marriott/Marriott will serve as The American Legion Headquarters Hotel. The Marriott Indianapolis will serve as the Sons of The American Legion Headquarters Hotel. The Westin will serve as The American Legion Auxiliary Headquarters hotel. The Department of New Hampshire will be staying at the Embassy Suits in downtown Indianapolis.
1. Friday, August 23, 2019 – Color Guard Competition at 4:00PM in Hall A. We currently have received two applications; from Illinois and Arizona.
2. Saturday, August 24, 2019 – Competitive Concert Band Contest and Exhibition Concert Band performance in Hall A. Contests will start at 1:00PM. We currently have received applications from Joliet, Illinois; Oconomowoc, Wisconsin; Post 337 Band of Louisiana; and Kansas City, Missouri.
3. Sunday, August 25, 2019 – Patriotic Memorial Service starting at 11:00AM in Halls A&B as the Indianapolis Women’s Chorus performs.
4. Sunday, August 25, 2019 – National Convention Parade at 4:00PM. The parade route will start south of The American Legion HQ’s at North and Pennsylvania Streets and will end at St. Clair & Meridian Streets. The Department of Indiana will have a Post Parade Party on The American Legion Mall. More information to come.
5. Tuesday, August 27, 2019 – National Commander’s Banquet. Tickets are still available. Your National Commander has selected Fab Four (Beatles Tribute Band) as the Banquet Entertainment. Tickets are $50.00 per person and each table is a round for TEN (10) people.
6. Tour Opportunities- Lew White Tours, Inc, will offer many tour options. Please visit our website for more detailed tour descriptions. For those attendees new to Indianapolis or have never visited National Headquarters or the new American Legion Auxiliary HQ’s, may want to take advantage of those tours as well.
7. While these next two events are the same day, recommend attending one to show support. The Indianapolis Indians Minor League Baseball are in town and will have American Legion Family Night at Victory Field on Saturday, August 24 where the National Commander will throw out the first pitch. Discounted tickets are available- please see attached flyer/link. Game is at 7:05PM. The other event is the Indianapolis Colts vs. Chicago Bears pre-season game at Lucas Oil Stadium at 7:00PM. Discounted tickets are available and a possibility to participate in a memorable flag holding event on the field. See attached flyer/link.
There are other useful items on our website from alternative parking options (including at the Posts), scooter rentals, airport shuttle options, RV parks, Posts that desire to host functions listing, etc. Please check the website often for updated information regarding notable items, events, etc for Indianapolis at www.legion.org/convention. /view/document/2019_american_legion_family_night_save_the_date-4-17.pdf
We are confident our American Legion Family members will enjoy the events we have planned thus far as well as the business sessions of The American Legion and other aspects of our 101st National Convention and the culmination of our Centennial Celebration.
The Department of New Hampshire will be staying at the Embassy Suites. I will post cost in coming months.