Department Service Office
The American Legion Department of New Hampshire Veteran Service Office
Norris Cotton Federal Building
275 Chestnut Street Room 519
Manchester, NH 03101
Office Hours: 8:00am - 4:00pm
North Country Satilite Office
Office Hours: By Appointment Only
Accredited American Legion Service Officers are specially trained to provide assistance, free of charge, to Veterans and their familie. While the majority of a service officers work involves application for VA disabilitybenefits, these compassionate professionals also provide information, referralls and resources on education,employment and business, death benefits and other important topics.
We assist with compensation, pension, appeals, vocational rehabilitation, and home loan guarantee. Additionally, we assist with obtaining records, awards, and decorations, discharge upgrades and answer questions of general nature pertaining to veterans programs.
Documents That may help a VA disability Claim
If possible, please have the following ready when contacting this office:
- DD Form 214 (issued at seperation)
- Service medical records (outpatient), dental records, entrance and seperation examination records
- Inpatient hospitalization records (private or military)
- Private outpatient medical records (if applicacable)
- Personnel file
- Line of Duty (LOD) investigation reports
- Overseas or temporary duty (travel) orders
- Seperating individuals should ensure that all of the information (including awards, overseas time,campaigns, RE code, etc.) on the DD214 is correct before signing. Uncorrected errors may cause problems in the future when applying for VA and other benefits.
Conditions for Disability Claims Expanded
VA is now processing disability claims for chronic asthma, rhinitis, and sinustis (to include rhinosinusitis). Veterans who served in Southwest Asia after August 2, 1990, or Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Syria, or Djibouti after September 19, 2001, may now be eligible for disability compensation.
Post Service Officer Training Manuals
Manual 1 Manual 2 Manual 3